Winter is definitely here now, I’ve even brought down the hats scarves and gloves bag from the top of my wardrobe. Whilst I’d love to tell you I’m packing my bags and heading for a fantastic winter escape, alas not. But a woman can dream! So I’ve listed my favourite types of winter retreats, and some ways to recreate them at home.
- A log cabin of course, preferably by a lake with a roaring fire, food, TV and Wi-Fi. Maybe my husband and some friends next door, but next door is a mile away.
- Skiing – I can’t ski, I don’t have any gear but if I had the funds I’d be whisking the family off for a fun adventure in the snow, hopefully no broken bones and lots of apres ski with Baileys and babysitters.
- Norway for the Fjords, the landscape and to immerse myself in the culture.
- Lapland, to see Father Christmas and the reindeer, to go on a sleigh ride and drink hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream.
- Iceland, to sleep under the stars, see the northern lights and bathe in a heated outdoor pool and sleep in an ice hotel (maybe) – or at least drink in the ice hotel bar.
Recreating your winter retreat
Whatever your winter fantasy escape, there are ways to recreate the feeling a home without spending a fortune on a holiday.
- Pile up cosy blankets and cushions, change up your living room accessories to create a winter vibe
- Change your bedding set to a more wintry scene with warm colours and a festive feel if you want to. There are some cosy themed sets from www.juliancharles.co.uk/bedding/type/all-bedding, I particularly like the woodland animals one.
- Have an open fire, if you can’t, pile up wooden logs or gathered branches and pine cones, then get some battery powered fairy lights to intertwine.
- Twinkly lights everywhere! In vases, over pictures, around your mirrors, in bowls, and at the windows.
- Look out for local deals at your favourite cosy hotels, pubs and restaurants and go for an intimate fireside dinner for two.
- Get matching festive jumpers for the whole family
- Go dry skiing or sledging together as a family for the day
- Go and see Father Christmas in his winter wonderland
- Go to a Christmas market
- Go ice skating together
- Bake apple pies and mulled wine just for the smells!
I hope that’s given you a few ideas, either for a trip away or to make yourself feel cosy and festive this winter. What’s your favourite winter retreat?
Disclosure: collaborative post
Join our Facebook Group
Free, friendly and supportive non-judgemental Facebook group for pregnancy and parenting